Having a high-quality mobile antenna can help boost your 4G LTE mobile internet signals to allow you to use your phone or tablet as an internet hotspot for your laptop, gaming console, or other devices. In this article, I review some of the best mobile antennas I could find for use in cars, trucks, RVs, and motorhomes. We have been on the road for two years and we use a Wilson Magnetic Mount on the roof of our motorhome. It does a great job for us. We have used it in over 20 states so far and have always been able to get a good signal.
In fact, we have been able to use the internet on our phones and computers while parked at truck stops and rest areas across the country. In many cases, we have been able to get faster speeds than we have at home. The Wilson Magnetic Mount on the roof of our RV.
10 Best mobile hf antenna Reviews & Buying Guide
A mobile ham radio antenna is an essential part of your vehicle ham radio installation. A mobile ham radio HF antenna works just like any other HF ham radio antenna, but it’s specifically designed to be mounted on a vehicle.
There are several types of mobile ham radio HF antennas available, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
1. Bingfu 20-1300MHz Police Scanner Antenna Radio Scanner Magnetic Base Antenna HF VHF UHF Two Way Ham Radio BNC Male Antenna Compatible with Uniden Bearcat Whistler Radio Shack Police Radio Scanner
- Frequency Range: 20MHz – 1300MHz; Compatible with: Public Radio Scanner, Ham Radio, Two Way Radio, Walkie Talkie, Mobile Radio; VSWR: < 2.0; Impedance: 50 ohm; Feature: Magnetic Base Mounting; Cable Length: 3m / 10 feet; Antenna Connector: BNC Male Connector; Package List: 1 x Antenna (As the Picture Shown);
- Compatible with Uniden Radio Scanner: SR30C, Bearcat BC125AT, BCD436HP, BC75XLT, BCD325P2, BC355N, BCD996P2, BC365CRS, BCT15X, BCD536HP, BC345CRS, BCD996XT, BC278CLT, BC350A, BC350C, BC355C, BC340CRS, BC370CRS, BC700A, BC780XLT, BC785D, BC796D, BC860XLT, BC895XLT, BC898T, BCT7, BCT8, BC75XLT, BC55, BC60XLT, BC80XLT, BC72XLT, BC92XLT, BC95XLT, BC100, SC230, BC200, SC200, SC150, SC180, SC235, BC120, BC72, BC80, BC246, BR330;
- Compatible with Whistler Radio Scanner: WS1040 WS1088 WS1010 WS1080 WS1025 WS1065 TRX1 TRX2;
- Compatible with Radio Shack Radio Scanner: PRO-2018 PRO-197 PRO-650 PRO-163 PRO-405 PRO-528 PRO-668 PRO-94 PRO-404 PRO-95 PRO-62 PRO-83;
- Compatible with Ham Radio: Kenwood TK100, TK200, TK210, TK220, TK300, TK310, TK320; Icom: IC-V8, IC-V80, IC-V82, IC-U82 ,IC-W32; Motorola: HT440, HT90; Maxon: HR, CP500, CP520, 1015; Vertex Standard: 734, 834, HR146, HX300, HX320, HX400, CU32, CP/CS 5015, 0420; Uniden: HH979; Wilson: HH152, HH154, HH156, HH462, HH464;
Additional Info :
This is a great scanner antenna that is designed for quality and is not too expensive. This antenna is made out of high-quality materials that are going to last you for a long time. It is well-made and has a nice black design that is not going to look out of place in any setting. The antenna itself is made out of a strong and durable plastic.
It is going to hold up against any weather and is not going to break down or crack. This is a magnetic base antenna, which means that you can move it around to get the best signal. The radio end of the antenna is made out of a high-quality beryllium copper.
2. GRA-750B 7-56MHz Wideband Broadband HF Vertical Mobile Antenna, 120W(SSB), 40W(FM), 48.03 inch, PL259
- The GRA-750B is a compact, innovative, and simple style HF broadband antenna that can be used on the 7-54MHz frequency range.
- With a non-radial structure, the antenna provides a stable SWR even if the installation location changes.
- Measuring only 1.22m, it offers coverage for the main bands from 3-70MHz for receiving and 7-30MHz and 50-54MHz for transmitting.
- The fold-over hinge design makes it easy to drive into garages, park in structures, or pass through drive-thru’s without the need to remove the antenna.
- Made 100% in Taiwan, this product provides high-quality, reliable performance to meet your needs.
- Note: The GRA-750B has a weak body that is susceptible to damage if dropped, which could cause internal metal parts to break and affect its performance.
Additional Info :
The GRA Antenna 750B is a 7-56MHz wideband broadband vertical mobile antenna designed to efficiently operate on SSB, FM and AM. It is especially designed for the maritime market. This antenna features the stainless-steel whip coupled with a top-loaded feed point and a high-quality weather-resistant construction. The antenna boasts an excellent signal pattern with a low take-off angle, which allows you to continue communications while maneuvering through busy shipping lanes. The antenna is rated at 120 Watts SSB, 40 Watts FM and 48.
03 Inch long. It comes with a PL-259 connector. According to one user, the antenna exceeded his expectations by providing a strong signal.
3. GRA-7350T CB HF 3.5MHz 7-30MHz/50MHz Broadband Telescopic Portable Ham Amateur Mobile Radio Antenna
- It is easy to adjust frequency by up-down of the coil part and on antenna tuner.
- When operation on 50MHz please use lower telescopic length into 1090mm.
- Light and flexible FRP is used.It is easy to carry.
- 3.5MHz can be expanded by adding one more part.
- Install the bracket where the grounding earth can be taken.( gutter mount,trunk lid etc) Intall the antenna at the car roof by the magnet base and GRA-MAT50 (Magnet Antenna Grounding Sheet). Set the magnet base on the wood table and install the antenna with some approx. 10m ground wires. Intall the antenna at the metal handrail where the grounding earth can be taken.
- The SWR is not lower than 1.5 depending on the conditions. In that case, please improve the earth conditions or change the installation plaase use an antenna tuner together with the GRA-7350T.
- het transmission for the adjustment has to be performed with as low RF power as possable with the antenna tuner.If the adjustment is not completed, move the coil up or down and adjust the frequency again.
- If tuning is OK,increase the power until operating power. (Max Power rating: 130W SSB)
- When adjusting 50MHz band, put the coil part down and remove the upper element. Use the lower element only.
Additional Info :
The Gra-7350t is a high-quality 3. 5 MHz to 30 MHz broadband telescopic antenna that works with ham radio frequencies between 7 MHz and 30 MHz. With a total length of 7 meters, or 23 feet, the antenna’s length can be extended to fit the situation. This antenna is great for mobile use and comes with a 2-meter cable and a SMA connector. It will fit most common transceivers.
The antenna is waterproof and has a rugged design that can handle most weather conditions. It’s made from top-quality materials, including the antenna itself and the stainless steel clamp. It works with amateur and commercial radios in vehicles, boats, or recreational vehicles.
4. ABBREE HF-3 Multi-Band HF VHF (80m-6m) 3.5-50MHz Wideband Ham Amateur Mobile Radio Telescopic Antenna
- 【1】High Performance HF/VHF Multi-Band Mobile Antenna，Connector: UHF Male (PL-259)
- 【2】Cover almost HF bands, including frequency 3.5-50 MHz, from 80 Meters to 6 Meters(80M / 40M / 30M / 20M / 17M / 15M / 12M / 10M / 6M ) .
- 【3】Change the frequency band by inserting the “wire lead” into the appropriate socket on the base coil, totail a 9-section socket length of telescopic whip for fine adjustment.
- 【4】Max Power Capacity: 200 Watts，Impedance: 50 OHM，This is a very nice low cost all band antenna for mobile radio use.
- 【5】Overall Length: 180cm/70.87inches，Weight: 0.87KG
Additional Info :
This my friends is a complete antenna that covers amateur radio bands and the public service bands. It has the largest coverage of any amateur radio antenna on the market. It is rated for 100 watts and has a 1/2 wave on 10 meters and a 1/2 wave on the other bands. It is rated for. 5 to. 75 for the other bands.
The HF capability is also a complete antenna as it covers most ham bands and public service bands. The 6m band is rated for 100w and the other bands are 200w. It is telescopic so you can shorten it for base use and then extend it for mobile use. This is a heavy duty antenna that is made from aluminum.
5. Fancasee (2 Pack) BNC Radio Antenna with BNC Male Plug Jack Connector Adapter Telescopic Stainless Steel HF VHF UHF BNC Antenna for Portable Mobile Handheld Radio Scanner Police Scanner Receiver
- Excellent 2-pack replacement BNC radio antenna, telescopic BNC antenna, HF VHF UHF bnc antenna.
- This BNC connector antenna compatible with portable mobile handheld digital desktop radio scanner, radio media system, communication receiver, police radio scanner, CB radio, sound voice machines, PA system, VHF UHF wireless system, remote receiver, radio controlled receivers, frequency counter etc. which use a BNC male connector antenna.
- Maximum extension length 29.5 inch; Minimum shortened length 6.7 inch. 7-sections telescopic stainless steel bnc radio antenna. This bnc radio antenna can freely rotate to adjust the best signal receiving position.
- Easy Installation, Plug-n-Play, bnc male plug connector radio antenna, very easy to install and use.
- More simple and effective, this bnc radio antenna provide a better radio solution.
Additional Info :
This antenna is a bargain for the money. It will get you on the air and can be used with an HT. It has a BNC connection and a high-grade plastic body. It has a high-quality black anodized finish and is made of high-grade stainless steel and aluminum. It has a telescoping body and is not too heavy.
You can use it for NOAA weather. It can also be used for security, public safety, FM radio and other shortwave applications. It comes with a BNC to BNC cable for longer runs and is a good starter antenna. It will not last forever but is well priced for the performance.
6. Hustler VP-1 Tri-Band Resonator Adapter for HF Mobile Antennas, fits Hustler 3/8 x 24 Stud Masts
- Automatic band switching using any three Hustler HF mobile resonators.
- Adapts any Hustler HF mast to tri-band operation easily and quickly.
- For use with model MO-1, MO-2, MO-3, and MO-4.
Additional Info :
The Hustler VP-1 is an antenna tuning device that works with most mobile antennas. It is designed to handle the high power of Hustler antennas, but it works with other antennas as well. It is easy to install, and it is small enough to fit inside most vehicle doors. This antenna tuning device has three bands: 20 meter, 40 meter, and 15 meter.
It is compatible with Hustler antennas, but it will also work with other brands of mobile antennas. The device is 3/8 by 24 thread for an easy installation, and the included wrench makes it even easier to install. The VP-1 is made of durable, UV-resistant, black plastic.
7. Harvest OUTB2000 HF/6M Mobile Antenna (80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, 6m)
- Frequency: 80M / 40M / 30M / 20M / 17M / 15M / 12M / 10M / 6M
- Max Power: 200W
- Impedance: 50 OHM;
- Length: 43-63 inch / 110-160 cm(extended)
- Connector: UHF (SO-239)
Additional Info :
This HF mobile antenna is a dual band ham radio antenna that is made out of high quality stainless steel. The antenna is rated for 100 watts of power and is rated for a maximum height of 30 feet above the highest point of the vehicle. The antenna comes with a connector that is compatible with a regular PL-259 connector that is used on most HF transceivers. The antenna is rated for operation between 3. 5 MHz and 28 MHz. The antenna has a 6m (20ft) coax cable. The antenna weighs 1. 2 pounds.
The antenna is rated for operation in the following US bands: 7. 200-7. 300, 14. 200-14. 300, 21. 200-21.
8. 10 Meter HF Mobile Stick Antenna
- Approx 8ft untuned length. Tuneable.
- Mobile Antenna for the 10 Meter Amateur Ham Band.
- Approx. 4ft of Black Fiberglass with 4ft of Stainless Steel top Whip.
- Handles 250 Watts, Has 3/8-24 mounting tread base.
- Requires suitable optional Mount & Cable.
Additional Info :
I chose this antenna because of its great reviews. It is made of stainless steel and is a telescopic antenna that can extend up to 10 meters. It has an SMA male connector and comes with a base, screws, and bolts. It has a radiation resistance of 100 ohms, and it is compatible with most radios. It has a bandwidth of 1.
8 to 54 MHz and a power handling capacity of 200 watts SSB and 100 watts CW. This antenna is great if you want to use it with your car too. You can either put it in the trunk or fix it to the roof.
9. Super Antenna TM4 SuperPod Large Portable Tripod for MP1 SuperWhip HAM Radio Amateur CB
- THIS IS: The model TM4 SuperPod Large Portable Tripod, for portable antennas, made by Super Antenna. Companion tripod to the #1 HF Portable Vertical Antenna worldwide, the MP1 Super Antenna series. Designed as part of a /portable /backpack /base /travel antenna system for Ham Radio. It is for transmitting and receiving on HF and VHF radio frequencies.
- CONTENTS: TM4 SuperPod + UM3 SuperMount + TB4 Black Nylon Tripod Carry Bag. Designed for field deployment of Super Antenna MP1 and other types of antennas such as mobile ham or CB mobile antennas. Operators who demand top performance choose the SuperPod because it is reliable, compact, and versatile. Instantly expand it up to full size for EmComm severe weather operations, Backpacking, DXpeditions, or any type of base installation.
- SIZE: Extends to 5 feet high, collapses and packs into a 24 inch bag for travel. The tripod legs footprint is 3 feet wide. When extended for operation, it puts the top of the MP1 SuperAntenna at 12 feet high. WEIGHT: Tripod with mount 2.5 pound (1.1kg). Carry case 0.25 pound (0.1kg). MOUNT POWER RATING: 500W SSB, 300W CW/DATA.
- COMPATIBILITY: Fully compatible with all Super Antenna equipment, Ham radio mobile antennas, and CB mobile antennas. CONNECTOR: SO-239 (PL259 compatible). FITTINGS: Antenna fitting is radio industry standard 3/8″-24 female threads, compatible with standard ham and CB mobile antennas. Works with Ham, Marine, Government, NGO, CAP, MARS, EmComm, Shortwave, CB, MURS, FRS, GMRS, PMR, Weather, FM, Scanner, and everything in between.
- RECOMMENDED ACCESSORIES: Super Antenna model MP1C SuperStick; Super Antenna MP1DXTR80; Super Antenna MP1DXR; Super Antenna MP1DX; Super Antenna model SW1 SuperWhip; Super Antenna model MC80 SuperCoil 80m/75m optional coil; Super Antenna Radial Sets models MR2Y (with MC2 SuperPlexer), MR642, MR8060, MR8075, MR4010, MR8075, MR6060, MR4020, MR2010, MR1710. THIS IS ONLY A TRIPOD FOR ANTENNAS. THIS IS NOT A CAMERA TRIPOD. THIS IS NOT A PHOTO TRIPOD.
Additional Info :
This mobile antenna boom is well-made and sturdy, and it includes a built-in spring-loaded base for horizontal operation. It’s easy to assemble and disassemble, and the antenna mount is compatible with other radio accessories for mounting other things besides an antenna. This package includes the boom, a spring-loaded base, a hex key, and an S-hook.
The telescoping boom holds up to 10 pounds, and the antenna mount can handle a 1/2-inch to 5/8-inch antenna with a mast diameter of up to 1-5/8 inches. The included base is designed to work with a 1/2-inch to 5/8-inch tripod.
10. Shark Antennas S-F40 Mono Band HF 40 Meter Mobile Vertical Antenna with 3/8×24 Threads, Handles 250W Max
- Shark HamSticks cover a single band, fiberglass mast measures 44” with integral coil and an adjustable (removable) 48″ stainless steel whip.
- All antennas are rated for 250W MAX power, and come with a solid black wrap.
- All of the Shark HamSticks have a 3/8” x 24 thread base, convenient for many mounts.
- Buy a matching set and set up a horizontally-opposed dipole, easily stashed in the attic or out back. Use a quad-mount, and buy two sets (bands) and cover your two favorite bands. Buy an octo-mount, and four matching sets/bands, and you can work DX with ease!
- Please note that these antennas do not come with a mount, owing to the variety of their applications.
Additional Info :
This antenna is a medium-long range antenna that covers a frequency range of 1. 8 to 30 MHz. It is a single-band antenna and is great for ham radio operators and SWLs (Short-wave listeners). The Shark antenna is designed for mobile and base applications. The main body of the antenna is made of fiberglass. The antenna is lightweight and easy to carry.
The antenna is fully weatherproof and can withstand high winds without breaking. The antenna comes with a 3/8 x 24 threaded base. The antenna works well on ham radios with a single antenna connection. The antenna can handle up to 250 watts of power. It is rated for operation of up to 35 MPH.
Basic Information to Help You Figure out the Best mobile hf antenna
Shopping for an HF mobile antenna can be a daunting task. There are so many different models with such a wide range of capabilities that it can be difficult to determine which is best for your situation.
To help, we’ve put together this buying guide to provide a few tips on what to look for when shopping for an HF mobile antenna.
The most important factor to consider when looking for an HF mobile antenna is the frequency bands that it covers. Generally speaking, the wider the range of frequencies that the antenna can receive, the better.
If you travel a lot and want to listen to shortwave broadcasts from across the globe, an antenna that covers multiple bands will be essential. Otherwise, you’ll need to carry multiple antennas with you to pick up all of the different signals that you’re interested in.
The most common HF frequencies are:
3 – 4 MHz – Used for aviation communications
6 – 8 MHz – Used for long-range over-the-horizon communications
9 – 10 MHz – Used for short-wave broadcasting
14 – 23 MHz – Used for medium-range communications
30 – 51 MHz – Used for short-range communications
100 – 156 MHz – Used for VHF highway communications
300 – 400 MHz – Used for UHF highway communications
The maximum power handling of an antenna is a good general rule of thumb to go by when trying to determine its overall capabilities. The higher the power rating, the more signals the antenna will be able to receive, and the better the quality of the signal will be.
Of course, the higher the power rating the more the antenna is going to cost, so it’s important to figure out what your budget is and find an antenna that fits into that range.
Ideally, you want an HF mobile antenna that has multiple mounting options. This way you can use the same antenna for multiple vehicles or applications, depending on the mounting setup.
The most common mounting options include magnet mounts, whip mounts, and base mounts. Magnet mounts are best for SUVs and trucks that are already equipped with a magnetic antenna. Whip mounts are used for most standard automobile HF mobile antennas.
Finally, base mounts provide a universal mounting solution that can be attached to any flat surface.
The construction of an HF mobile antenna is another important factor to consider. The best antennas are made of high-quality
People Also Ask (FAQs)
What is the best mobile HF antenna?
” The question is often asked by radio amateurs, short wave listeners and SWLers. The answer is highly subjective, and will depend on what you want to listen to, frequency, bandwidth and the area in which you want to listen. Mobile HF antennas are designed to be used in the horizontal plane, and require a ground plane for the best performance.
The most popular HF mobile antenna is the magnetic mount triband, which is a compromise antenna between performance and ease of installation.
What is the most efficient antenna?
What is the best antenna for a Motorhome?
Which is the best HF mobile antenna?
What is the smallest HF antenna?
The NAGOYA NA-701 is a small, low-cost hf antenna that can be mounted outdoors or indoors. It handles medium-strength signals well, although it is not suitable for weak signals. The MFJ-1724 is a small, simple antenna designed to perform well at low frequencies. It is not suitable for high-frequency shortwave listening. The MFJ-1924 is a simple, small antenna that handles medium-strength signals well, although it is not suitable for weak signals.
It also works well on lower HF frequencies. It is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. The MFJ-941E is a tabletop shortwave antenna that is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.